“Chairlift’s dance music is intelligent mostly because it takes time to breathe, build on itself organically and will us to dance while, get this, simultaneously coaxing us to listen to the music.”
1. Smith Westerns w/ Yeasayer
– Where: Wonder Ballroom
– How Much: $20 (adv)/$23 (All Ages)
– When: Friday, May 27th – 9pm
– Why: This Chicago based quartet channels their inner T. Rex with quiet dreamy vocals over Beatles-style progressions and fuzzy guitar lines. Now on Fat Possum, their sophomore effort, Dye It Blonde, showcases a more polished sound, but still true to form. Come witness the teenage dream unfold before your eyes.
2. White Denim w/ White Arrows
– Where: Bunk Bar
– How Much: $10 (All Ages)
– When: Sunday, May 29th – 9pm
– Why: Bluesy garage-rock with jazzy undertones is hardly enough of a description to capture White Denim’s sound. Let’s just say these guys could play circles around most of their contemporaries. After the addition of a second guitarist last year, the band began working on their fifth studio album, D. Released yesterday, expect it to be on heavy rotation all summer.
3. !!! (Chk Chk Chk)
– Where: Doug Fir Lounge
– How Much: $15 (+21)
– When: Tuesday, May 31st – 9pm
– Why: After a decade and a half of bringing their brand of post-punk dance rock to the masses, !!! still maintains their underground act integrity. These disco-punk vets keep their music moving forward and change it up with each album. Put your dancing shoes on and catch them fresh from Sasquatch!