Now Reading
Portland Painter Brett Bowers

Portland Painter Brett Bowers

Photo by Clint Melville
Photo by Clint Melville

What can you not live without?
Family and friends….I guess you could say “love.”

Favorite artist?
Bill Watterson. I started with just trying to copy his drawings and slowly realized he was shaping my entire view on life.

"Boom Bloom" (one shot enamel on glass, 2015)
“Boom Bloom” (one shot enamel on glass, 2015)

What is your education, if any in the art field?
I graduated from the University of Oregon with a BFA in painting in 2002. My first art class was in my first term of college.

Where are you from?
If the Simpsons can finally admit it, I suppose I can proudly say that I am from Springfield, Oregon

Most used medium within your work?
I love One Shot enamels! My work wouldn’t be the same without that stuff.

Creative influences?
Observing people and traveling

Favorite place you have traveled?
Paris.. All the rumors are true. Food, people, arts, architecture … It’s like an amusement park designed from my subconscious

Personal Motto?
“Whatever it takes” (W.I.T.) . I heard it in a speech years ago and I’m not sure why it stuck with me, but it reminds me of the sacrifices we have to make to achieve our goals. I still use WIT as a signature on certain projects.

"Duck Pond" (one shot enamel and spray paint on glass, 2012)
“Duck Pond” (one shot enamel and spray paint on glass, 2012)

Best thing about being an artist in PDX?
I don’t need to look far to get inspired.  A lot of people like to make things here and that creative culture has a pulse….whatever that is…. That thing.

Last record, cd, or tape you listened to you?
Digable Planets Blowout Comb

How do you pay the rent?
I wear a few hats, but painting has been picking up the heavy end as of late.

Favorite childhood cartoon?
That’s tough… there’s never been a time in my life that I wasn’t watching cartoons. G.I. Joe, Transformers, He-man, Thundercats, Voltron, Duck Tales, Ren and Stimpy….I’m forcing myself to stop, but Archer is my favorite cartoon today.

Favorite music venue in PDX?
The Goodfoot. For local/regional stuff, this place is fun. »

Please enjoy Brett's piece "On The Run" (acrylic on birch panel, 2013) decorating our inside back cover this month.
Please enjoy Brett’s piece “On The Run” (acrylic on birch panel, 2013) decorating our inside back cover this month.